Wednesday, September 5, 2012

My Afternoon at the Audubon Society of Rhode Island updated picture

  On Labor Day I wasn't sure of what to do with my daughters for the afternoon. My husband was going out on his sailboat, so I figured I would do something enjoyable and physically active (I don't go on the sailboat yet because I have a fear of the ocean, it's inhabitants, and sailboats-I know.....silly). We decided to go to the Audubon Society of Rhode Island.
  The Audubon Society of Rhode Island is a relaxing, inexpensive, and educational bird and wildlife sanctuary in Bristol, RI that is dedicated to the education and preservation of the wildlife and it's surroundings in Rhode Island.  The cost to get in was six dollars for adults and 4 dollars for children fours years old and over, under the age of four are free.The santuary has a small hands-on exhibit featuring Harbor seal history, fish and sea life native to Rhode Island and of course, a variety of birds. There was a wonderful, small area where kids of all ages could handle seashells, snails, crabs, and conch. Small children love this area because of it's hands on aproach to learning and the helpful and patient guidance from the staff (Older woman Louise was very helpful and encouraging, expecially with my stubborn and rambunctious 3 1/2 year old!)
 
  After about an hour inside the exhibit hall, we ventured outside to the nature trail. The trail consists of a beautiful boardwalk that makes the walk relaxing and quiet. It is also great because it keeps children from venturing off, which makes it easier to enjoy the walk and not worry about chasing after kids. We spotted some grasshoppers, dragonflies, and a rabbit, which is very exciting to young children! The surrounding area around the boardwalk is filled with tall grasses and different types of trees and wildflowers.
  At the end of the trail walk, we were rewarded with a beautiful, ocean view. The breeze was warm and the air smelled strongly of salt. There were many sailboats out and the water was rippling wildly. It was a nice reward after the walk.

  I was also rewarded with some sweat, a full bladder, thirst, and hungry children. I felt like we accomplished something fulfilling and health wise as a family unit, at least until my 3 1/2 year old had a melt down and wanted me to "catch" her a butterfly so she could take it home.
  Ah.....the wonders and joy of motherhood.
 
A beautiful picture that I forgot to post. Enjoy!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment