Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Intrusiveness of Consumption

When I was in high school I was an unhealthy 100 lbs soaking wet. I wouldn't say I was anorexic, but I never really had the urge to eat. I had a terrible appetite. I never thought I would be overweight as an adult, but here I am, a hefty 200lbs.-two of me in high school!

Now, it seems that everywhere you look, there are advertisements to eat fast food, buy processed snacks, or drink carbonated beverages. Right after you see a commercial on television for something fattening and unhealthy to eat, there is a commercial right after it for a gym membership or exercise equipment. Make up your mind!

I have visions of eating twinkies while running on the treadmill. Think about it, looks kinda comical, doesn't it? I don't remember it being this way when I was younger, was it? Maybe it was and I just wasn't feeding into that particular target group. You know, the target group of thirty something year old, overweight, overtired women? Can you imagine fullfilling what the media is telling us to do? Exercising in "fashionable" exercise clothing, expensive sneakers, fancy BPA free water bottle, full make-up on, fake tan, eating a burger, wait a minute, wasn't that already done? (Kardashian, maybe?)

It seems like the constant consumption of goods and services is a part of our lives whether we like it or not. Intrusive thoughts and offerings on everything under the sun. The dilemma is if we really can resist the intrusiveness of so much offered and marketed, or if resistance is actually futile.